Friday, February 1, 2013

Scrap Friends - Your First Layout

"We are here to have fun today and look back a little. Do you remember when you first started to scrapbook? Did you like it, was it easy to find anything to use? Did you like your first layout? This is a great opportunity to share your story."

The Design Team at Scrap Friends is having a wee bit of fun reflecting back on the start of their scrapbooking journeys, and are encouraging others to join them on their stroll down memory lane. So here I am with my first LO ..

Hayley

Yes I remember when I first started scrapbooking. I had been making cards for years and had ventured into scrapbooking stores in search of new patterned papers and embellishments. I wasn't in the least bit interested in scrapbooking as I didn't have children and all the LOs on display were of children. But then when Hayley unexpectedly died, I wanted to make an album of our memories of her. Just the one album mind. I'm somewhat embarrassed to confess her album still isn't finished and I have about another 327 (or so it seems LOL!!) albums on my shelves filled with LOs that need sorting! Clearly I fell in love with scrapbooking!!

Do I like this first ever LO? Yes. In fact I love it. There are some things I'd do differently now simply because of the wider range of products available, but I'm really proud of my use of sinamay over the cardstock for the background. Even back then I was using texture to create layers on my LOs!!! I love that I've journaled in three different spots. Journaling, no matter how small, is important to me. These days I'd probably use something other than stamps on cardstock to create my title, but that's what I had available to me at the time, and from the few magazines I bought, tiled alphas were pretty popular at the time. I think the stamped paws are cute, especially where I've used them behind the vellum on which my main journaling is printed. I've used brads, ribbon and tags so clearly my love of embellishments started early, although there's not a flower in sight LOL!!! All in all, not bad for 2005 I'd say!

Was it easy to find products to use? Not really. Apart from the stamps I used to create the title, this LO was created from my card making stash. Pet themed products were really hard to come by at that time. Apart from Karen Foster Designs I don't think anyone was really that interested in pets. I can remember in those days traveling far and wide to visit scrapbook stores all over regional Victoria in search of pet themed products. As it turns out, I'm not a 'theme' scrapper LOL so most of those products are still in my stash, but I can't bear to part with them!!! Perhaps I'll use them here and there in small doses? Who knows.

So anyways that's the story of my first LO. If you're interested in sharing the story of your first LO, and the actual LO itself, pop on over to Scrap Friends and join in the fun!!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment