Friday, April 22, 2011

From just one layout ...

... came a sketch, a mini layout (3x3"), mini album covers, a 12x12" layout and two cards.  This 'just one layout' is the culprit ...

Beautiful
published in Scrapbooking Memories Volume 11 No. 7

products used include: Treasures and Core'dinations cardstock; Kelly Panacci and Crate Paper patterned papers; Little Yellow Bicycle transparency; K&Co die-cut cardstock shapes; Doodlebug stick with it alphas; WeRMK foil sheets; Crate Paper rub-ons; Stampin' Up! scallop edge punch; Kaiser pearls; Zig marker; various ribbons (including Maya Road velvet ric rac), buttons, fabric and other haberdashery items; and a generic 'cheapie' (but super stunning don't you think?!) flower

Although I created this layout quite some time ago now, it remains one of my firm favourites.  I remember being inspired by the photo and after editing it, being inspired to create something dreamy, floaty and childlike in its innocence.  Recently, my friend Kylie of {yillup designs} (see HERE) created a sketch from this layout ...

Beautiful sketch

I love how this sketch turned out (thanks K!!) and was eager to give it a whirl more than two years after creating the original layout.  But I confess, I'm in the middle of my first (and hopefully last!) serious head cold for the season and over the past week I haven't felt much like creating.  Plus, and this bit is more than a tad exciting, I'm going on a scrapbooking retreat in June so I've been a bit of an eager beaver getting a head start on my photos and kits to take away.  Could I bring myself to drag myself away from the retreat preparation long enough to actually scrap?  LOL at the rate I was going I would be taking away enough projects and kits to work on I'd never get them done in a month of Sundays.  What to do?  Then I remembered I needed to make ten mini (3x3") layouts for a swap at the retreat.  Why not use my sketch (somewhat shrunk you could say) to create those mini layouts?  Problem solved!!!  This is what I came up with ...

Alz
note - the layout is actually 3.5x3" so as to allow 0.5" for binding

products used include: Stampin' Up! Kraft cardstock; Making Memories Greenhouse Paperie patterned papers; Kaiser rhinestones; Prima Forever Flowers; ribbon; Zig writer; Stampin' Up! Embosslits die, Beautiful Wings; EK Success border punch (postage stamp); and Stampin' Up! 2 3/8" scallop circle punch

I'd had the Making Memories Greenhouse Paperie range (okay I confess I have all four colours in the Paperie range) in my stash for what feels like eons without using it.  A girlfriend used the Greenhouse range last year some time when she was here and we were cyber cropping (hi Sandy!) but otherwise, I've left them dormant.  What was I thinking?!  Was I crazy?!!!  This range was divine to work with.  I will be the first to admit I have always had a thing for Making Memories, since the day I started scrapping. Having said that I can't quite understand why I hadn't done anything with these collections before.  Well let me say, once I had done 10 versions of this mini layout I was hooked.  So hooked I proceeded to do my mini album covers for the mini layouts (once we have swapped them all at the retreat that is), completely forgetting that covering our mini albums was meant to be one of the retreat challenges.  Seriously what a dufus!  There's nothing I can do about the fact that I've completed the challenge only about six or seven weeks before the event so I may as well share.  Oh and no I'm not going to officially 'enter' them with the other mini albums.  Seriously ... what a dufus!!!

3MMM mini album covers
products used include: chipboard; Stampin' Up! Top Note die; Stampin' Up! Embosslits die, Beautiful Wings; Stampin' Up! Kraft cardstock (on the inside of the covers); Making Memories Greenhouse Paperie patterned paper, trim, blossoms and buttons; embroidery cotton; Kaiser rhinestones; American Crafts Thickers, rockabye, foam, leaf

Now honestly, can you see why I have fallen in love (all over again) with this fabulous range?  The darker green paper covering the front and back of the album covers is actually flocked.  I love things which are touchy feely and this flocked paper fits the bill!!  After I had mistakenly completed this challenge now instead of in mid June (have I mentioned what a dufus I am?!?!) I packed everything away nice and neat ready to start my next project only, LOL, to pull it all out again to keep creating.  I wasn't hooked on this paper range, I had well and truly jumped from the water into the boat!  Over the course of five days (yes I know that's slow, even for me, but remember I'm scrapping with a nasty head cold), using this collection, as mentioned above, I created 10 mini layouts, decorated my mini album covers, made a 12x12 layout and two cards.  After all this I managed to successfully (for now!) put the collection away and away it has remained.  I'll admit though I'm not so sure if that's because I've finished with it for the time being or because I'm scared I'm going to use it all up LOL!!!

This is the 12x12 (my preferred size) layout ...

Couple of kids
(briefly and all over the place) the products used include: various American Craft Thickers; Kitty Robot buttons; Glossy Accents and FolkArt paint; red brads; Buzz and Bloom chipboard; Stampin' Up! Embosslits die, Beautiful Wings; Making Memories (there they are again!) Clear Creations, Family; chipboard; Prismatics and Bazzill Swiss Dots cardstock; Tim Holtz Alterations dies - Paper Rosette and Mini Paper Rosettes (I LOVE this new die!!!); Making Memories Greenhouse Paperie patterned papers; and The Crafter's Workshop template, Zinnia

For those of you interested in creating your own 'die-cut' look background papers, can I suggest you invest in some templates by The Crafter's Workshop?  They are so versatile, working fabulously (amongst other things) as masks, but in this instance quite simply as a template to create a cut out paper background ...

It really is as easy as tracing/drawing the outline of the template on your patterned paper (or cardstock as the case may be), using a craft knife to cut out the pattern (I suggest a super sharp knife and a glass cutting mat to make this job faster and cleaner), and then erasing your pencil lines.  Voila!

Finally, here are the two cards I made, using the sketch Beautiful for inspiration ...
Asian bird

Asian grasses

products used in making these cards include: Prismatics and Bazzill Swiss Dots cardstock; Making Memories Greenhouse Paperie journaling book and patterned paper; Making Memories Rouge Paperie felt clips (I told you I had the other colours!); red brads; red Kaiser pearls; Stampin' Up! Embosslits die, Beautiful Wings; Tim Holtz Alterations dies, Paper Rosette and Mini Paper Rosettes; Sizzix Sizzlits border die, Scallops, Giant; Stampin' Up! stamp set, Asian Artistry; Stampin' Up! ink pads, Riding Hood Red and Kiwi Kiss; Stampin' Up! Kiwi Kiss cardstock; Stampin' Up! scallop trim border punch; Maya Road twill; sewing machine and cotton

I don't know about anyone else but I think that's enough green and red for this time of year.  LOL anyone could be forgiven for thinking I had mistaken it was Christmas ...

1 comment:

  1. You have been a scrapping MACHINE, Alz! I love that sketch and now want to use it for something too. All your creations are just beautiful. Thank you for sharing your creative process and telling us what supplies you used. You are really creating beautiful work....xxx

    ReplyDelete