Monday, March 14, 2011

If you've got it ...

... use it!  Have you ever created a layout and thought "yep, I really like this one"?  Well why not create a sketch from your layout and file it away for future reference ... perhaps for the next time you are stumped for an idea or your mojo has left the reservation?

I'm super lucky to have an awesome friend who totally rocks the digi world ... heh Kylie ('K') of {Yillup Designs}.  I'm also really fortunate that K is very generous with her time.  So occasionally, when I've created something I particularly like, I'll email K a photograph of my layout and ask her ever so very nicely to create a digital sketch for me, and 'voila' she does!

This is one such layout which I created for Kaiser (as a guest designer back in March 2010 ... OMG was that really 12 months ago?!?!?!?!!!!!) using their stunning Peachy Keen collection ...


which K digitally turned into a sketch for me ...


from which I created this layout (I 'flipped' the sketch to suit the orientation of my photo) ...


Products used include Sizzix Scallops, Giant, Sizzix Vine w/Leaves, Sizzix Circle, Scallop, Sizzix/Tim Holtz Styled Labels, Sizzix/Tim Holtz Tattered Florals, Quickutz 12" border die Damask, Tim Holtz Distress Inks Shabby Shutters, Old Paper, Tattered Rose, and Antique Linen, Tim Holtz Color Wash Lettuce, various punches, stamps, crochet and wool-felting accessories, and Darkroom Door Bloom collection patterned papers together with Crate Paper Bliss collection patterned papers, oh and one of my handmade stick pins (made for Leanne's swap)

This layout came together like a breeze.  Because sketches are so easy to work with, I love them; but I also love to create my own original work, so this was a perfect blend of the two.  Seriously, next time you create a layout you are particularly pleased with, consider creating a sketch from it for future reference.  It worked for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment