Thursday, February 12, 2015

SBM Masters .. challenge no. 2

Have you ever had one of those days when everything you do turns out 'blah' and you just feel 'blah'? I'm having one of those today and I'd like to say 'LOL' but I can't because I just feel blah (LOL).

I figured I could do the least harm with my 'blah-ness' at my Mac so here I am sifting through my 27 draft posts and I found this.

Happiness found
published in Scrapbooking Memories Vol 17 No 7

The criteria for the second Masters challenge was to use something you wouldn't ordinarily use in your scrapping. Umm. I've been doing that for years so what was I going to do? LOL five years ago when our new home was being built even GB would scour the build site for bits and pieces left over by the tradies. Yep 2011 saw some pretty weird stuff appearing on my layouts.


So anyways I've always wondered if I could make my own pigments. You know the 'threes' game .. where you can only take three items to a desert island? When It comes to scrapping I've always figured I could make my own paper, pigments, brushes .. you get it yeah? So I decided to make my own pigments.

Above are the photos of the finished layout but here is a close up photo of my layout shortly after my handmade inks were first painted onto my background ..


Although these colours lost some of their vibrancy as they dried, the resulting colours suited the earthy tones of my photo perfectly. If I were to mix the powders with a glossy gel medium, they'd maintain their vivid tones but I wanted to use them as a very wet medium, like watercolours.

The colours you can see above are English Spinach (green), Beetroot (red), Tomato (orange .. I know right?!), and Turmeric (yellow). I also used Coffee (brown) but all you can see of that in this photo are little droplets here and there.

I'll see if I can find the other layouts I've created with my handmade pigment powders to share tomorrow, or the next day, or the day after that LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment