Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sketch challenges

Okay, so I think we've already established I love sketches which is kind of funny because until I started this blog I really had no idea myself!!  I guess that means I'm very lucky because there are a plethora of sketch challenges and sketch sites out there on the www!  I'm also lucky ScapChat (where I 'hang' online) has sketch challenges every month.  We also have the occasional cyber crop (I love those too!!) so without having to venture far outside my own backyard I have more than enough sketch challenges to keep me occupied.  Here are a few to share ...

First off, back in January (why does that seem like such a long time ago??) we had an 'impromptu' cyber crop (of sorts) at ScrapChat because ... well why not?!  One of the challenges was a sketch challenge ...

this was the sketch
pretty cool huh?

and this is my layout ... my 2 boyz
various products were used including: Quickutz Diesel alpha dies; Sizzix Sizzlits Ornate Label #2 die; Stampin' Up! trio heart punch; American Craft Thickers, gift box, raw chipboard; Basic Grey and other unknown (I think it is Karen Foster) patterned paper; Core'dinations and other cardstock; fabric and stitching, and yahda yahda yahda

Going back a little while in time to October and November last year, a friend (Lucy ... hi Mumm!) at ScrapChat who was putting up the sketch challenges asked us to create layouts using her already created layouts for sketches.  Does that make sense?  Instead of putting up sketches per se, Lucy put up layouts of her own and asked us to use those for the sketches.  I guess at the time it was like putting on our Matrix glasses and rather than seeing her layouts, seeing the skeletons (or sketches in this instance) beneath.  Well okay, not a great explanation but that's as good as it's going to get and if you don't get it, I'm sorry.  LOL!  Anyway because Lucy's layouts are her own personal work I'm not going to share them here with you.  Sorry.  I'm sure you understand.  But I can share mine!

October 2010 sketch challenge
You are my handsome handsome boy
products used include (amongst other things): MME Tres Jolies borders; MME So Sophie patterned papers; Swiss Dots Bazzill cardstock (love this stuff!); various Karen Foster pet themed products; Sizzix Ovals, Scallops #3 die; and Stampin' Up! large oval scallop and 1" circle punches

November 2010 sketch challenge
52
some of the products I used include those from Echo Park's fabulous fun and funky Sweet Summertime range; Maya Road pom pom trim; Quickutz Diesel alpha dies (yes this is one of my all time favourite fonts!); and Cuttlebug's Harlequin die (fabulous for creating banners!)

PS:  Lucy's sketch was inspired by a Crystal Wilkerson quick page

As much as I love working with sketches, I really do like to come up with my own original creations.  So when I'm working with a sketch I try to add something a little extra to it.  Another challenge I guess you could say.  More often than not, the simplest of things.  For example ...

When creating my 2 boyz I challenged myself to use my sewing machine to stitch through chipboard (I've always been a little anxious about doing so but wow ... what fun!!) and to add a 'little extra' to one of the top margin areas of my LO (something I've seen on a lot of layouts in magazines and online galleries but haven't really tried myself).  Although I did add that 'little extra', and it wasn't on the original sketch, I would have added it anyway because otherwise my LO would have been unbalanced and there simply isn't enough room for anything else unbalanced in my studio, well at least not when I'm in there anyway.  Ha ha.

You are my handsome handsome boy includes a few additional challenges I threw my way ... "use some of those MME border stickers you picked up for a steal years ago!" ... "start working with that enormous collection of pet themed products you've amassed but never use!!" ... and "Max's album is bulging yet you are not in even one photo on any of the layouts ... do something about it!!!".  Trust me, I can be a hard taskmaster at times.  Yes I'm rolling my eyes LOL!

Finally, for November's sketch challenge Lucy added another challenge to her challenge.  That sounds strange!  We needed to create a layout with the theme 'birthday'.  Yeah great ... not!  Oh except I had these fabulous photos from when GB turned 52 and was really helpful (not!) when I wanted to take some photos of him over breakfast.  Perfect!  They would be fun to scrap and he would be sooo happy I had scrapped them (not!) LOL and then shared them online (not!!)!!!  However I still felt the need to set myself another wee challenge so when creating 52 I decided I was going to have a go at creating a banner on my layout.  I had only ever created a banner once before on a layout (I think) and from memory I hadn't been happy with it (or had I just not liked the entire layout???).  This time I wanted to 'nail it'; and 'nail it' I did!  It was such a fabulous sketch though and I'm so disappointed I can't share it with you.

Anyways thanks a million Sketchy Thursdays and Lucy for the sketch challenges ... without them I wouldn't have the three fabulous layouts I have above to add to my albums ...

PS:  Well I love them and think they're fabulous, and that's what counts right???

No comments:

Post a Comment