Saturday, October 13, 2012

International Card Making Day

So last weekend was International Card Making Day and a couple of my girlfriends (heh Susan and Lucy!!) at ScrapChat put up a couple of challenges and they ended up creating a monster!!!  :O

At the best of times these days I don't much like making cards anymore. I'd really rather spend what little time I have to be creative, scrapping. Getting my grunge on. The reality is though, I need cards. I just can't bring myself to pay the ridiculous prices for a nice card when I could so easily whip one up myself. But as we well know, I love a challenge LOL and the girls' challenges caught me and dragged me in. What I didn't expect was that they'd create a card making monster!!

Susan's challenge was to create a pair of Christmas cards using punch art, ribbon and three buttons on each card. I ended up making three (because that's  how many cards I get out of a sheet of 12x12 cardstock) along these lines ..

products used:
cardstock - Prismatics
patterned paper - Jillibean Soup
embellishments - Heidi Swapp ribbon, Stampin' Up! buttons, embroidery thread
tools - Stampin' Up! punch

Lucy's challenge was to create a card with a flower made from a punch (no purchased flowers), a stamped quote or rub on verse, and patterned papers (as well as your cardstock base). The only 'extras' we were allowed to use were glitter, bling and mists. I found this harder than it perhaps sounds ..

products used:
cardstock - Prismatics and Stampin' Up!
patterned paper - My Mind's Eye
inks - Tim Holtz Distress and Archival Ink
stamp - Stampin' Up! Whimsical Words
tools - Stampin' Up!, EK Success and Martha Stewart punches

Where does the 'monster' bit come in? I wanted to make the cards up quickly and knew that I had a small stash of flowers I had made from punched out circles. So I got those flowers and my 6x6 patterned paper pads out to see if I could quickly pull something together (I had other scrapping I desperately wanted to do) and before I knew it I had matched up enough flowers and patterned papers to make eight cards!!! Plus they had somehow got me in the mood to make cards!!!  :O  That never happens so I figured I'd make hay while the sun shines ..


They had turned me away from the scrapping I wanted so desperately to do and created a 'card making monster'! However, I made sure to use sentiments that were fairly generic and would cover most of the occasions when I'd want to send a girlfriend a card; and now I can rest assured that I don't need to worry about making cards any time soon! Thanks for the inspiration Susan and Lucy! Oh and belated happy International Card Making Day wishes everyone!!!!   :)

2 comments:

  1. Lol! I love that we helped create a monstrous cardmaking session at your house last week :) You make such beautiful cards, you know. And people treasure them. (Yes, they do). Maybe we can whip up a challenge or two for you every few months and get that cardmaking mojo happening again. Enjoy your scrapping in the meantime though, Alison. Love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete